Followers

Pages

Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Mixed Media on Triangle Canvas!

Hey friends,

It is been a long break. I am here with a set of mixed media on canvas. When Priya got these Triangle Stretched Canvas in shop, I was excited as I love geometric shapes and decided to use them. They are 10 inch long, stretched canvas on a sturdy pine wood frame.  I planned to make a cluster of 3 with a common theme running across all of them. (Just like my previous try HERE).

I decided to repeat those triangles in my focal point. First, I primed the canvas with gesso.

I don't have any fancy chipboard accents so I used backing of a writing pad to cut few triangles. Laid them in such a way that two large triangles will overlap on both adjacent canvases. Drew a line with pencil and cut them before gluing. I did this to show a continuity in design. 


I covered all the chipboards with gesso and stamped with jet black  and Shadow grey archival inks. I also adhered crumpled tissue paper pieces in few places with the help of gel medium . This product is out of stock right now but you can use THIS , THIS or THIS product instead. 


After this step...I got so engrossed that I forgot to take pictures....:P. It took me 2 days to finish it as the whole process was so new to me and I was being cautious not to over do it. I will give you the order in which I have used different products. But First let's have a look at the final product.






- I started with adhering some diecuts made using Bielo . HERE & HERE are some of the dies I used.  Also added two types of metal charm - pen nib and round one. Dabbed some gel medium in corners and sprinkled glass beads on it and let it dry.

- Loosely cover the chipboard triangles, die cuts ,metal charms and beads with thin coat of gesso.

- I sprinkled ColorArte Artist Pigments - rosebud  & Art ingredients' Blue Mica Powder in places and mist it with water. Dry it with heat gun and repeat the process till you are happy.


- I love the shimmer of pigments. It is so subtle to capture in the picture but it looks gorgeous in actual.

- I wanted some more colors but don't have any bright colored sprays so I pulled out my Ken Oliver color bursts and went all over the town sprinkling it. Mist with water and allow it to dry.

 After all this labor, I realized none of the pigments have binder in it so they won't stick to metal or glass beads. So I mixed little bit of Deco Art Glazing medium with desired pigment and some water and dabbed it with brush on metal and beads. 

- I mixed 1 part glazing medium with 1 part water and applied it all over. This will seal all the colors and layers created with pigments and water. So when you apply another mist on top of it, it won't activate the color beneath. This way you can build your layers without making a muddy mess. 

- I applied Perfect Pearl Powder  mixed with white acrylic paint and Decoart Glazing Medium on to the tissue paper and diecuts in the background.  Allow it to dry. Lightly rub the raise part of texture with Inka Gold paste and buff it a bit with paper towel. All the applications were done by fingers as i wanted to accentuate the highs an lows of the beautiful textures. This way you can control the amount of paint and pressure you use to apply it.





I wish you can see the shimmer...totally out of this world.

Now comes giving meaning to the artwork. I feel, having proper sentiment on mixed media enhances the effectiveness of your work - 1000 times. If you can create an art which speaks for itself than it is a different story but till then I would love help of words to express myself. 

With all those triangle, it was already looking like a banner. So I went with 'celebrating life' kind of theme. For large sentiments, I used Stamploration stamp set - Noteworthy . And for tiny sentiments on chipboad, I used Ideology Rub-ons. 

Check all the pictures...!



The best part is you can arrange them in which ever way you want or according to the space on your wall. 





It is a riot of colors but I think I have left enough white space to balance it out. I never ever expected that it will turn out this good. Happy, happy me!

My take away from the process:


Your fingers are the best tool.
Watching 1000 videos won't help...make one and you will learn so much.
Be fearless in experimenting.
And lastly, 
It is not about having best of everything, it is about making the best from everything you've got!

Ta...ta for now...! See you soon with something very new...very exciting!
Lots of love!

Neha.







23 comments:

  1. Wow nicely designed mixed media

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, this is so stunning! Absolutely love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing! Totally in love with these ! You are so awesome Neha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much, Priya...:) I am also loving it.

      Delete
  4. What a beautiful project.! The shimmer is so glam <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much! Ya it is gorgeous.

      Delete
  5. This is absolutely stunning, Neha. Your chosen colours and textures are such a feast for the eyes! I even recognized some of my favourite STAMPlorations stamps you used. If you wanted to, you could link it up with their Anything Goes Challenge. Have a lovely weekend! XXX

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous is not the word...I adore admire love every bit of this process....You rocked it totally!!!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I shall get back to you!